Monday, September 19, 2011

A Study From A Video Game?


...if that video game is Riven! I've mentioned this before, but almost 15 years after its release, it's still my favourite piece of CG ever made (that includes movies). The light is so real, you could study from it as though you were actually outdoors. This one is from a particularly subtle scene in the game (hardcore fans should recognize it). Lit entirely in shadow, very close shifts of value and colour temperature were the only tools to reveal distance and scale.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adam Temple said...

Dude that was the most frustrating game ever! Did you beat it?...w/o a walkthrough? It gave me headaches.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

oh hell no. I walkthru'd the hell out of Riven back in '98. I was 17 though, so what chance did I have? I really wish I could have experienced it for the first time as an adult.

7:05 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

I absolutely agree with you that Riven holds up today as some of the best CG created. Its filled to the brim with mood and atmosphere.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home