Sargent Study - Final
In keeping with Sargent's method of painting, this was done Alla Prima. It's oil on 12x16" linen canvas. The biggest challenge while painting this was trying to make each brushstroke driven by draughtsmanship. This was difficult because I'm not a master draughtsman yet. But I tried to sum up everything I knew and could observe from Sargent's portrait in simple brushstrokes, and then not fuss over them. My natural tendancy is always to lay something down and then go over it again. I tried to step back often to evaluate where the next brushstroke needed to go, and basically built up the painting in large, impasto patches of value/colour until the canvas was covered. This was probably the biggest learning experience I've had as a painter!
Click here for a high-res photo.